RCI Timeshare - RCI blocked my previosly available timeshare points

Issue not resolved
Nov 06, 2011
review #273220

What follows is the copy of my email sent directly to RCI regarding the block on my points.For other Xanadu Timeshare members who may read this, complaints about Xanadu Vacations Intl not meeting its contractual obligations, if I am reading my contract correctly, should be taken up with the Bahamian courts.

I will include them in all my written communication. I urge others to do the same

"I am a timeshare owner at Xanadu Beach Resort and Marina in Freeport, Grand Bahama Island. I understand that this resort is no longer affiliated with RCI as of 9/28/11 and therefore in future cannot exchange my timeshare weeks through RCI. No problem.

My issue has to do with my points from 2010 and perhaps 2011. In 2010 there was an affiliation, I had access to these points in August 2011 but in now in November 2011 I do not? To say that Xanadu put a block on my points doesn't make sense. I have a contractual agreement with you, RCI, separate from my contractual agreement with Xanuadu Vacations International Limited.

If you were willing to book a vacation for me in August using 2010 points how can Xanadu Vacations International Limited stop you from letting me use those same points now?You no longer have an agreement with them and but you and I have a contract!"

bf2bf37
Had an experience with RCI Timeshare?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
jamie79

Jun 16

Just received another bill for $500. This time it was not from Conrad but it was from Xanadu Vacation Club. We didn't send them any money last time either. Has anyone taken legal action or gotten out of their contract?

Amy

Apr 03

Any news on the Xandau Vacation Club scam? We are also owners since 2003. We have actually stayed there maybe twice since then. Major discombobulation each time, everything you can imagine from no rooms with air conditioning and no working elevator in a 12+ story building. We paid off the price for the club membership and continue to get maintenance fees, originally $475.00, now up to $875.00 and who knows why the bill say $1,725.00. But still only outlines details for the $875.00. I, too, am unable and have been unable for years to contact anyone at Xanadu to either remedy situation or make a reservation (God forbid). The contract I have says many things that have not been held accountable by the Xanadu Vacation Club. Therefore, I believe that if any part of the contract is not met by either party it is considered null. Also, originally, supposed to be enrolled in RCI points, however, it never happened. RCI had no record, when I questioned Xanadu, they assured me it was taken care of. Never happened, so Xanadu offered a free week at Xanadu in return. Ughh.. We do have a contractual right to the finances of the company and they seem unavailable to view and have never been sent to me. My contract says, "15. In the event of default by the club, member's remedies shall be limited solely to the return of the member's payments made pursuant to this agreement." Obviously, the club HAS DEFAULTED since it is no longer open or available to communications. IT IS ACTUALLY FOR SALE... Show more

Spazman

Apr 23, 2013 Two Harbors, Minnesota

:( Same boat. I wrote a letter to the Minnesota Department of Justice and have not heard any response as of lately. Still trying to get something going. I think Conrad is also to blame here. Such a pain in the ***.

BobbiandDave13

Feb 26, 2013 Portland, Oregon

We joined Xanadu Vacation club early in 2004 and despite several attempts over the years, we have only returned once in May 2010. We were saddened to see the degraded state it was in. Hurricane damage and the economy has hit it hard. We hadn't heard anything from them and thought they had closed for good until we got the bill for the maintenance fees! Tyrone Thurston, the VP of operations, assured us that he could arrange our vacation at a comparable resort. After emailing back and forth for several months over the amount with Conrad, we were ready for him to come through on his offer. But after they got their money, he stopped answering our emails.
We filed a complaint with our state department of justice against Conrad and we would encourage you all to do the same. If enough people file complaints about Conrad charging maintenance fees for a resort that cannot be used, we should be able to get out from under this financial burden. Please tell us how much your fees are. We got a notice that the 2012 fees were increasing to $975 for our 2 bedroom. Then after we complained and paid it anyway, to protect our credit history, they recanted and reduced it to $675. However, we didn't get a refund or credit towards the next year's fees. And the next yr. they charged $975 and we fought tooth and nail to get them to accept $675 without late charges or other penalties and damage to our credit. Now, its happening all over again with them billing us $975! Mr.
... Show more

Natalie Johnso

Sep 22, 2012

I am in the same boat as everyone else. Please contact me to let me know what is going on. I want in on the law suit. They have not honored my membership since 2008 and I continue to make my yearly maintance fee. Now they say I owe more plus additional late fees. There is a scam and I want to get this said and done with.

Phyllis

Jul 11, 2012

I am a owner and can't book anything there I hear they are closed. Conrad give me a Tyrone Thurston who never anwser phone or email.

nancrisp

Jun 12, 2012

I have been arguing with Conrad Acceptance/Conrad Credit Corp since February and now they are trying to file a collections claim for the "maintenance" fee for 2012. Let's get this lawsuit moving. Do we need to contact the Bahamian government? State of California against Conrad? Has anyone contacted BBB to see what we should do?

Carol B-C

Jun 03, 2012

Please let me know when a class action suit is filed!

Brycen

May 10, 2012

Hi all, I have the same issue...I was a weeks member of RCI since April of '06 through Xanadu. I CONSTANTLY tried to deposit my weeks since I never wanted to go back to the Bahamas again but only managed to deposit 1 out of the 4 I was promised. I can still see 3 of them just waiting on RCI and am now hoping to get a refund from Conrad. After contact RCI, they informed me that they will never be able to honor those weeks since Xanadu is no longer affiliated with them. So, I've contacted Conrad through the email address on this forum and after doing so, was reminded of another contact I dealt with when I thought I was dealing directly with Xanadu named Nellie Forbes, (nellie.forbes@penthousegc.com). PLEASE let me know if anyone has made any progress with this issue.

Kenneth

Mar 23, 2012

I would also like to get into any law suit, and I am also wondering on the job that Conrad & co. is doing in this scam.
Lets join together and get our money back.

Cathy LaBianco

Mar 09, 2012

My husband and I are also owners at Xanadu. We tried to stay there only once years ago,we were contacted just prior to departure and moved to a different resort - we were told it was closed due to renovations. It seems it is always closed for renovations.
We found out just this Feburary that Xanadu was no longer affiated with RCI. Since we only used our points from there to exchange for other locations and seldom in the Bahamas - now what!!! I would like to be included in any class action suit.

ljwells9@qconline.com

Mar 01, 2012

We are also Xanadu owners since 2007--have recieved bill for fees from Conrad in amount of $500--do I have any recourse ? I CALLED cONRAD -tHEY stated I had to pay--Why if contract has not been honored or issuses addresses with owners? I don't see RCI as having anything to do with this issue. Any one have any answers????? :upset

Dar S

Feb 25, 2012

We also have been upset with the current status of Xanadu Vacation Club. You may contact Tyrone Thurston at tyronethurston@hotmail.com. It takes awhile, but he does respond. I have written twice. The first time was 12/14/11. At that time the summary of his answers to my questions were: Xanadu V.C. does still exist. We are still responsible for our contractual obligations. They are closed for extensive work. They hope to open in the "not too distant future". They are full filling their contactual obligations by providing hotel accommodations at Royal Islander or Royal Palm (reviews for both are terrible). And RCI was never a part of our contract (despite the fact that the sales people used the advantaes of RCI points in their sales pitch). I wrote again 2/15/12. At that time he said "Plans are in the advanced stage for full renovations of the entire resort which will begin soon. All plans must be approved by the local authorities...." I think that most of us have used the RCI points to stay elsewhere and we seem to have no recourse. It really is not RCI's fault. With all of the bad reviews written for so many years, I was actually surprised that RCI hadn't kicked them out sooner. They have to kep up their standards to have any credibility. If anyone has learned of anything that we can do, I would like to know.

Ann

Feb 14, 2012

Im also in the same situation.xanadu blocked my points.just got in the mail a bill for $800 for xanadu fees.what a scam! called no answer.rci said they can't do anything and i should still pay the fees.add me to the list.please keep me in the loop nannyfenderson@aol.com

ruthmc

Jan 20, 2012

I have written to Tyrone at Xanadu asking for details of how the hurricane levy was spent. Surely the additional funds would have restored Xanadu sufficiently to either remain with RCI or attract another international resort company. I believe as owners we have a right to see the financials. If you also would like to see how your money has been spent, I'm sure Tyrone wouldn't mind providing the details. Tyrone's email address is: tyrone.thurston@penthousegc.com

ruthmc

Jan 19, 2012

We have just found out that Xanadu Vacation Club is no longer part of RCI and that we have only 3 resorts, all in the Bahamas to select from. We have had issues with Xanadu since 2004 when we signed up (they still can;t get our address correct) and the RCI affiliation was the only reason we continued paying our fees. We believe that we are RCI members and as such should be transferred to a new home resort. No-one even bothered to contact us with the change and we are really upset.

Peggy

Jan 12, 2012

I am an owner at the xanadu vacation club since 2003 and I would like to be involved in any lawsuit involving the vacation club and or RCI

Dana S.

Nov 23, 2011

To Tms559 and Lisalombardi, I don't know if you're reading comments posted on this site under other complaints about Xanadu, but someone has apparently managed to talk to Tyrone at Conrad corporation. I don't know if this is an actual breakthrough or not, but I am trying to get e-mails of owners so we can keep each other updated. Please contact me at dana.schlanger@gmail.com if you want to be included. Thank you!

Lisalombardi

Nov 13, 2011

We have exact same experience with RCI, Xanadu, Conrad. What is next step.? Please include us in future emails about how to contact bahamians,how to participate in class action lawsuit. Thanks for any info

RCI

Nov 10, 2011

Hi tms559, we received your email and it looks like someone from our team has already reached out to you regarding the block on your Points.
For the benefits of others reading, Xanadu is no longer affiliated with our exchange program. If you have any further questions, we are available at talktous@rci.com. We also recommend you contact the resort at 242-439-3450 to see what your options are.
Thank you, and we're sorry we don't have more positive news to share about this situation.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.