RCI Timeshare - RCI Cruise and Resort Vacations

Issue not resolved

I signed an RCI Cruise and Resort Vacations contract and now I am wishing I never come in contact with it. Be careful, this is an "iron clad contract that you cannot get out of, no matter how disappointed you are in the "products" they are providing.

I was disappointed that cruise upgrades which I was told would be available for free are pretty expensive for the cruises in which I am interested. The hotel option in lieu of the resort part of the vacation is not available outside of the US. The resorts in the US and the very few in Europe are either their lower classes of resorts or way off the beaten path. If you want a resort in Mexico, then the options are pretty good. Of course, you may not feel too safe in Mexico these days, so there is plenty of availability there.

In my attempts to communicate with RCI, my minimum wait time on the phone has been 20 minutes with 30 to 40 minutes being the case on a couple of occasions. Sometimes, as they switched me between departments, the wait cycle would begin all over again. One time after having one of their people leave a message for someone to call me back, the return call never came.

I called RCI to get out of the contract. I was told that after the 10 day rescission period, there is no way out. I was told that I do have not have any legal recourse. I offered to buy my way out of the contract by paying a cancellation fee, still no way. Satisfying a customer does not appear to be one of the corporate tenents of RCI.

d682afe review #222362
30 Helpful? 15
Had the same issue2 Comments24 Report
Had an experience with RCI Timeshare?  Submit review about this company
Ana

Jul 26

I wasted my money buying an RCI WEEKS timeshare. It is a big waste and I regret it! We also have to pay an exchange fee. Please do not buy a time share. It is not worth it at all!!!

D

Jul 01, 2013 Columbia, Maryland

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CRUISE/RESORT PACKAGE!!! I wish I had not. The package adds up to approx. $2000 plus cruise port fees and taxes. You may even have to pay for upgrades. THIS IS WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU WHEN THEY ARE SELLING YOU THIS PIECE OF JUNK. Oh, I was told by the representative after complaining that the expiration date is actually a book by date and to book the resort six months out because that is when there are more inventory available but book the cruise 12-18 months out. NICE AND CONFUSING! THIS PACKAGE IS A RIP-OFF AND YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF FINDING YOUR OWN DEALS. I will be writing the president and sending the information to a couple of news stations.

BP

Jun 27, 2013 Asheville, North Carolina

My comments pretty much agree with most of the others. This deal sounded too good to be true so I will just add a few new ideas that explain why it isn't a good deal. First of all you won't save any money because of the hidden costs including something I think they label as "NCCF" which are supposedly port fees. I just booked my second cruise through the RCI Cruise and Resort Vacation package with Royal Carribean. I double checked the costs on the Royal Carribean website for the exact same package and only saved $475 which for the cost of the RCI package does not recoup the cost of the RCI package. Royal Carribean does not add this $200 per person fee which without that price would make the RCI package fair.
Being under time constraints to complete the package (we had to book before our expiration date or lose the remaining cruise) plus no appreciable savings makes this a bad deal.
Finally the salesman who promised us the world and that he would be there to take care of is apparently no longer with the company because he is never there when we try his extension. I think the time share salespeople who are run off because of their shady dealings end up here for a short time.

Bottom Line....DO NOT BUY THIS PACKAGE

cynthia

Jun 27, 2013 Los Angeles, California

This by far has been the most horrible purchase I've ever made!! I will never purchase anything like this again.. My advice to anyone interested in purchasing this " You are better off charging your card for the full amount of a cruise and/or any resort stay!!"

RCI ripped off me

May 22, 2013 Lawrence Township, New Jersey

I wish I found these comments before I bought into the RCI cruise scam! I trusted them and I Got Burnt BIG TIME!
I wasted my money. I could have purchased any cruise for much less thru my travel agent of thru the cruise line. RCI is are making money by marking up cruises.

scammed customer

Feb 03, 2013

Do not -repeat- DO NOT sign up for one of RCI's great deals for a cruise and resort vacation for under $2000.00. By the time you add in the port fees and taxes on the cruise and the all inclusive fees on the resort vacation you are paying the same as if you had booked a vacation on your own. There is NO savings. And you end up going somewhere you did not want to go to because their available "inventory" is not at all what they claim it to be. You are extremely limited. Remember: if it is too good to be true it probably isn't.

Lynne

Oct 17, 2012

I am a very disappointed customer. The only way this package has value is if you are very flexible and willing to take lower level cruises in bad staterooms. This is a liquidation program. The cruises and condo properties are undesirable places in undesirable locations. It is essential that you upgrade to get anything decent. This program is misrepresented and a very poor investment.

0 0 Reply
Quintian I., San Diego, CA.

Sep 27, 2012

Interesting... I purchased 2 packages and I was on the contrary, I was very pleased. I dont know about anyone else but I was promised exactly what I received. Also I loved the flexibility that the package offered and it afforded me to take my kids on a cruise, It was very affordable and with e-z payment lay away plan.

I cruised with Royal Caribbean which is my favorite cruiseline although I did cruise on Princess with my first package earlier this year.

quintian@aol.com

Kathy

Sep 20, 2012

WOW, I am really disappointed that I trusted RCI to be an upfront company. Am surprise a BIG hotel like the one in LV is connected to such a shady company. I guess we are out a ton of money for what we thought we were buying. I wished I could see some positive reviews. Boy did I get taken in.. What an EXPENSIVE lesson.. Guess I won't be recommending this to any of our friends. Bummer--Wished I hadn't been such a believer in people. guess I should have know we'd get taken to the cleaners in LV.. just didn't think it would have been this way.

Lynn from Austin TX, US

Aug 22, 2012

I am a 15 year RCI member dealing with my timeshare. When approached about the resort and cruise vacation package, I dodged the bullet when I asked to get something in writing prior to committing. They were unable to provide that and subsequently suggested I look at their website with them. When I told them I wanted to look before buying and would get back to them. they said the would try me again next year. Lucked out. :zzz

dede

May 29, 2013 Phoenix, Arizona

info but rci said that meant i comited so i also got screwed
I just wanted to look it over & never said for sure i wanted the pk. so now I am never going to sign on with RCI another year

Kim

May 09, 2012

DO NOT BUY THIS PACKAGE, it is not worth it at all, I wish I see all of this review before I bought it. Trust it a friend that bought one, now I am telling her to not buying it since it didn't deliver as promise.

qcBULLDOG

Apr 04, 2012

Thanks to all who wrote and warn others about this. The RCI lady has called me twice and now after researching I can tell he no way.

R. H. and Peggy Stripling

Jan 15, 2012

pls. contact above - need important information re anticipated trip (14-21 May 2012). Not clarified - phone conversations not complete. Thnx.

David

Dec 13, 2011

We too were duped. We never signed the contract except for previewing the package for $99. Now we are being charged $124.44 per month. What a scam.

Kathleen M, RCI Customer Care

Nov 23, 2011

We came across your comments and would like to extend an offer to help.
We encourage any RCI subscribing members who are experiencing difficulty in confirming options that meet their preferences to email us at talktous@rci.com and we'll be happy to work with you.

Jim

Nov 07, 2011

We purchase this RCI Cruise and Resort package and were extremely disappointed that the salesperson misrepresented what we would get. He led us to believe we would get two cruises and a week at any resort and kept saying "you can get whatever is available". I kept asking questions, and he kept beating around the bush with his evasive answers.

But when we received the package, we found out that not much was available. Once we got our package and certificates and did a little searching, we were quite surprised to see mostly off-season cruises, ships with lower star ratings (3 and 3-1/2) than we would ever choose, and the very high surcharges for any cabin other than an inside cabin. And they never did say how much the processing fees were.

The confirmer who came on the phone after the sales rep rattled off a mile a minute all the package details--so fast it was hard to figure out what he was saying, and when I told him that what I thought he was saying was not what I was led to believe, he just kept saying "What I'm telling you is the MINIMUM you will get. When you get your package, you can call your sales rep and he will answer any questions you have." In other words, you can ask your questions after we get your money. He was really beating around the bush rather than telling us that you only get 2 cruises if they are 3-5 day cruises. If you want a 7 day cruise, you only get one cruise.

We sent off our cancellation
... Show more

Beth and Rich

Oct 23, 2011

We have been RCI owners for over 10 years and have been very happy with our home resort and the ability to schedule vacations. However, we were also duped into purchasing this great cruise and resort deal. We could have gotten the same cruise for less from a travel agent and now that I am trying to book my resort week (at my home resort no less), they tell me that I must pay an additional fee to do so. This $2000 certificate has now cost us over $3500. I was told I could have my choice of resorts and the size unit I want, but the availability of the resorts is limited. Funny, if I go in as an owner to book the same week, all the units are available. To those of you considering this package, don't do it. :(

Dan

Oct 08, 2011

The deal sounded great. Availability looks week, except during off-season. I'm hoping that once I actually use the certificate that I will be able to report a positive review, but at this point I'm worried I got taken. :roll

Dayle and Bill

Aug 18, 2011

We decided to trust the RCI person that called us and agreed to a cruise and resort/hotel certificate. BIG MISTAKE! We now realise we were 'taken'. The cruise we want is costing us $650.00 MORE for the two of us than we would pay purchsing it through a travel agent or directly from the cruise ship company. BEWARE, this is a sucker scam, but then so are the RCI times shares that become almost worthless as soon as you purchase them. If you want to buy a time share or add another one, purchased one that is a resale (on line is ok) for almost nothing compared to what RCI is asking. We do have resort time share points and use them, but we purchased these points for thousands of dollars less than they were asking at a presentation by buying it from someone that was dumping it.

1-20 of 24 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.